Canongate Kirk – Pipe Organ – Positioned in the Gallery
Click on the links below to listen to pieces performed on the Frobenuis organ by former David Goodenough, organist and Director of Music at Canongate Kirk.
Three Chorale Preludes for Advent and Christmas, from Das Orgelbüchlein:
The Organ was specially designed for Canongate Kirk as a memorial to the Very Reverend Doctor Ronald Selby Wright, the much loved Minister of Canongate from 1937-1977. It was built by the Th. Frobenius & Sønner, Orgelbyggeri A/S of Denmark, a firm well known in the organ world for meticulous craftsmanship and lyrical sound. The Canongate organ is their 1000th instrument, and the first Frobenius in Scotland. The instrument is a two manual tracker action instrument with 20 stops, 3 couplers and tremulant. There are no pistons or general registration aids.
|Tremulant||Variable Speed and Depth|
|Couplers||Gt/Ped||Pos/Ped||Gt + Pos|
Great Organ = 616 pipes = 8 stops (11 Ranks)
On the case: Lauda Dominum Praise the Lord
Positiv (Swell) = 505 pipes = 8 stops (9 Ranks)
Deus magnus Dominus God the Lord is great
Pedal = 120 pipes = 4 stops
Lauda Deum Praise God
Total = 1241 pipes
Pitch = A440 cone tuned at equal temperament.
Oak console, bench and pedals
Yellow pine trackers
Cedarwood and leather pallets
Padouk wood reed heads
Pipes of Tin, Copper or Mahogany
Brass and aluminium metal work
Naturals of mammoth tusk ivory
Sharps of ebony
Draw stops of mammoth and ebony
Gold leaf inscription lettering
Swell shutters constructed of two mahogany panels with a lead sheet core.
The instrument has been recorded several times, most recently by the Edinburgh Society of Organists for their ‘Organs of Edinburgh’ CD book (Delphian) which can be ordered at: http://edinburghorganists.org.
Other recordings of the instrument include:
- Complete Organ Works of Johann Krebs – Vol 1 – John Kitchen – Priory
- Pachelbel: Organ Works Vol.2 – Matthew Owens – Delphian
- JS Bach – Organ Works at Canongate Kirk – David Hamilton – Divine Arts
The inaugural concert was given on 16th November 1998 by Dr. John Kitchen, Senior Lecturer in Music at the University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Organist, The City of Edinburgh Organist and Director of Music at Old Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church Edinburgh.